The first clan to convert to Christianity as the result of St Patrick's efforts was Clan Connaill (also known at one time as Clan Dálaigh: in English, this is pronounced Daley and it translates as "one in a leadership role"). As a result of their acceptance of Christianity, Patrick blessed the clan members; the sign of the cross appeared on the chieftain's shield and this became not only the heraldic device for the clan but also for County Donegal.Donegal Town itself is famous for being the former centre of government of the O'Donnell dynasty, the great Gaelic royal family who ruled Tír Chonaill in west Ulster for centuries and who played a pivotal rôle in Irish history.
Ocean FM, an independent local radio station from Collooney in County Sligo, has one of its three studios in the town, which broadcasts to most of south County Donegal.
Highland Radio, which is based in Letterkenny, can also be received in the town.
From the 1470s until the very early 17th century, Donegal was the 'capital' of Tyrconnell (Irish: ), a Gaelic kingdom controlled by the O'Donnell dynasty of the Northern Uí Néill.
Donegal sits at the mouth of the River Eske and Donegal Bay, which is overshadowed by the Blue Stack Mountains ('the Croaghs'). The centre of the town, known as The Diamond, is a hub for music, poetic and cultural gatherings in the area.
Their original homeland lay further to the north in the area of Kilmacrennan.
From the 15th to the 17th century, they were an important part of the opposition to the colonisation of Ireland by England.
Dedicated to Saint Patrick and 'the Four Masters', this Catholic church was built in the early 1930s and was completed in 1935.
This Church of Ireland church was built in a simple Gothic style mainly in the late 1820s and was completed in 1828.
The town itself contains Donegal Castle, on the banks of the River Eske, and the remains of Donegal Abbey a Franciscan abbey which dates back to the 15th century on the Southern shore of the Bay.
The Annals of the Four Masters may have been partially written in the old abbey in the 1630s.
Lough Eske Castle, a five-star castle hotel located on a secluded lakeside estate just outside Donegal Town, has a rich history dating back to the 1400s.